Odessa State Medical University was established in 1900. This university is a member of the European Universities Union and is the biggest Medical University in Ukraine.
The university has 800 lecturers, 18 academicians, 105 professors and doctors, 407 assistant doctors and assistant professors.
OIn 2007, Odessa State Medical University was positioned 107. place in the world’s universities list.
There are more than 4500 students in the university, and more than 1500 of this are foreign students from 57 different countries.
The courses include the equipment with the state-of-the-art modern medical technologies.
The campus was built on a 27.000 m2 field and consists of 18 blocks, 48 clinics, 6 dormitories, a library which has about 1 million books, a publishing department, computer center, sports center and a modern guest house on the coast of the Black Sea.
1 September 1900, a significant event that left its mark in the history of medical education in Ukraine and for many years identified her perspective, was the opening of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Novorossiysk.
Faculty had bright prospects because great world-renowned scientists worked in it. Before the opening of the department was completed, major buildings and clinics were constructed with the latest construction and architecture. Admittedly this was the most prestigious faculty and medical establishment of the time.
However, this good start was suspended because of Russia’s war with Japan, the revolutionary events of 1905-1907 years, the first world war 1914-1918 years, the October Revolution of 1917 and the civil war. After the elapse time and the destruction of the old system of higher education, new foundations began to be make its ascent. The positive things that were founded in the pre-revolutionary times, soon began to bear fruit.
1922 Medical Faculty University of Novorossiysk was reformed as an independent institution of higher education – Medical Institute, which again turned into a leading university of the south.
In the 20 years of the previous century, basic schools were actively formed which brought the Odessa medical institute worldwide fame. Of this, the Odessa therapeutic school-based students SPBotkin – professors S.V.Levashovym, P.O.Valterom and their successors were L.P.Dmytrenko, MD Strazhesko, F.H Yanovski, NA.Yasinovka. One of the founders of the Odessa Ophthalmic School was professor S.S.Holovin. Continuing its development and worldwide fame associated with the name of academician V.P.Filatova.
Even in pre-revolutionary times emerging world-renowned school of pathologists, whose founder was the first dean of the Medical Faculty V.V.Pidvysotskyy. His closest aides and students were OO Bogomolets and Zabolotny, who later headed the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. At the same time formed a large scientific school scholar – V.V.Voronina pathologist. In his ideas formed the future prominent scientists V.P.Filatov, L.P.Dmytrenko, SI Vinokurov, L.O.Cherkes, M.O.Yasynovskyy, V.K.Zhhenti et al. Not to mention known morphologists – professors M.K.Lysonkova, M.S.Kondrat Prokofiev, F.A.Volynskoho, V.I.Bushkovycha et al. Their original work has received recognition worldwide.
Over the years of independent Ukraine, our university has developed into one of the leading medical universities with the IV level of accreditation. It is a member of the International and European Universities Association. The level of student learning and training is closest to international standards. Today, six faculties and 58 departments of the University have about 6,000 students and students, 1300 of them – the citizens of 52 foreign countries. Foreign students are taught in Russian, Ukrainian and English.
Today the Odessa National Medical University remains one of the leading medical universities in Ukraine. It is a member of the International Association of Medical Universities and the high standards of training at the institution is well recognized throughout Europe and America. The University consists of 58 faculties and has a student population of over 6,000 including foreign students from very different and diverse countries. Tuition is given in Russian, Ukrainian and English languages.
In 1946 the first foreign student – a citizen of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea Kim Jang Soo has been admitted to Odessa Medical Institute (previous name of ONMedU).
In general, in the history of education of foreign people in the Odessa State Medical University has three stages.
The first – from 1946 till 1961.- Training of doctors for the people’s democracy.
The second – from 1961 to 1991.- Training of medical personnel mainly to Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and the third – since 1991 till now.This period of training on contract basis all interested foreigners, including citizens of the CIS.
At the first stage of training was carried out on the basis of intergovernmental agreements, on the second – on the basis of intergovernmental, inter-party coordination and communication between NGOs and trade unions, the third stage is associated with the collapse of the USSR and the CIS inability to perform the former arrangement.
At the initial stage, not numerous students from European countries hardly changed the organizational structure of the educational process.Foreign students entered into existing groups and studied together with Soviet students.
The emergence of students from Asia, Africa, and Latin America resulted in significant changes in the education of foreign students, so in 1964 has been created the dean dedicated to working with foreign students and later the Department of Russian Language (1969).
In 1979 the position of vise-rector for international relations has been introduced.
In 1990 the faculty is preparing graduates – foreign nationals in the internship, masters, postgraduate, doctoral studies.This year started training courses for foreign citizens.
In 1992 the preparatory department for foreign citizens, where students are trained in Russian and Ukrainian language, improve basic training in physics, chemistry and biology has been created.
After passing the final exams students receive state certificate and can be credited to the first course chosen specialty Odessa National medical university or other institution of higher education in Ukraine.
Since 1996 the university opened training of doctors English and later French study.
Foreign students acquire knowledge and skills of the newest medical technologies: endoscopic, laparoscopic, maxillofacial, plastic surgery, transplantation, tissue therapy, implant dentistry and others.
The priority task of the university at the present stage is to expand direct contacts with foreign countries based on mutual agreements, which is aimed at further integration into European and global health structures to learn best practices in medical education and scientific research development.
Since 1946 the faculty received training over 7,000 foreign citizens from 58 countries worldwide. Many graduates have become leading specialists, heads of medical institutions, regional services, educational institutions.
At present time at the university, more than 1000 foreign students have the opportunity to use high-quality and modern information services, new student library, study books that are written by professors of the University and published in ONMedU.Continuing the tradition of educational work with foreign students in ONMedU operates a comprehensive approach to learning and international education fully developed personality, which aims to create a friendly atmosphere, good conditions for learning and a comprehensive and mutually enriching review of our countries, their history and culture.Medical degree were more than 7 thousand people.
The current educational work with foreign students has been repeatedly identified Diplomas Office for Youth Policy, Office of European Integration of Odessa City Council, diplomas Department on Nationalities and Religions of the Odessa Regional State Administration, as well as representatives of diplomatic corps in different countries.
SCIENCE AND RESEARCH
Purposeful activity of different generations of scientists of the University during the 150 years of its existence has provided the creation of numerous internationally recognized research schools of teachers, physicists, mathematicians, biologists, linguists and philosophers. They all share an understanding of the need to direct their efforts to deepen basic and applied scientific research to ensure the consistent development of the socio-economic and humanitarian spheres of life of Ukrainian society.
The scientific activity of the Odessa National University is implemented in accordance with the laws of Ukraine "About Higher Education", "About Education", "About the scientific and technical activities".
According to the order of Ministry of education and science of Ukraine from 13 December 2007 the University entered into the State Register of scientific institutions which are provided by state support.
Development of scientific research is a priority in the activities of the University.
Research is carried out in the ONU at 15 faculties, institutes, centers and scientific structure which includes:
- Research Institute "Astronomical Observatory" - founded in 1871;
- Research Institute of Physics - the first scientific institute of physical profile in Ukraine, created in 1926;
- Research Institute of Combustion and Non-traditional Technologies - the only Ukrainian institute of this profile;
- 11 scientific-educational centers
- 16 research laboratories.
Scientific research also is provided by:
Scientific Library, founded in 1817, which has a fund of more than 3,6 millions of book volume;
- Botanical Garden, founded in 1867;
- Hydrobiological Station, founded in 1902;
- Petrography-Mineralogical Museum, founded in 1865;
- Zoological Museum, founded in the early XIX century;
- Paleontological Museum, created in 1873.